In one of the most alarming and far-reaching acts of the new Congress, the Pelosi Democratic House passed H.R. 1, the most comprehensive legislation on voting since the Voting Rights Act of 1965, on a vote of 220-210. (All Republicans and one Democrat voted against the bill.) After the incredibly problematic election of 2020, this bill codifies processes that led to alleged voter fraud and eviscerates the right of states to control their own elections.
Some Constitutional Background for Perspective:
Article 1, Section 4, of the U.S. Constitution states: “The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of choosing Senators.”
The Elections Clause in our Constitution provides a unique organizational structure that gives the states broad power to construct federal elections, but it ultimately delegates final policymaking authority to Congress. (The Constitutionality of H.R.1 is debatable. However, Governors, Secretaries of State and other agencies are definitely not authorized under the Constitution to regulate elections. Only the state legislatures are specifically authorized.)
From our Founding until the mid-nineteenth century, Congress used its “make or alter” authority sparingly, leading the regulation of federal elections to become, over time, a government function traditionally left to the states. The responsibility of state legislatures to direct election protocols has never been systemically challenged on a national level by one political party — until now.
H.R. 1 would effectively strip state legislatures from ALL decisions related to the manner of holding elections. For example, the bill:
- Voids individual state voter-identification requirements even though recent polling shows the vast majority of citizens, including Democrats and minorities, support stricter voter ID laws.
- Makes permanent the widespread mail-in voting that created so many doubts about election integrity last November.
- Mandates states to offer online and same-day voter registration. This gives local election officials no time to verify the accuracy of the information of the voter registration.
- Creates an independent commission to draw congressional districts in each state, something currently done by individual state legislatures.
- Mandates automatic voter registration for every eligible citizen age 16 and older, even though the voting age is 18. Democrats have previously attempted to lower the voting age to 16.
- Restores voting rights to people with completed felony sentences, violating current laws in many states.
- Reverses state voter-ID laws, allowing citizens to make a sworn statement affirming their identity if they were unable to produce an ID.
- Takes voting changes that were made because of the COVID-19 pandemic and makes them permanent. This includes mass ballot distribution by mail — which led to people casting more than one ballot, allowing non-citizens to vote, and undermining public trust in our election process.
- Changes the Federal Election Commission by eliminating the present six-member bipartisan makeup, creating a five-member partisan commission.
- Creates a “Speech Czar” designed to limit free speech.
- Legalizes ballot harvesting in all 50 states.
- Weaponizes the IRS. This bill permits the IRS to investigate and consider the political stance and policies of any organization before granting them tax-exempt status.
Possibly worst of all . . . It would set up a public funding program for candidates running for Congress. This would force taxpayers to subsidize the political campaigns of individuals they may vehemently disagree with and wouldn’t vote for in a million years.
The Democrat-controlled Congress is attempting to push through every radical idea the left has ever dreamed of. And this is just in the first 60 days! At a time when half of Americans have lost confidence in the integrity of our elections, this bill will only drive distrust and division higher.
Father, show us how to pray for the events happening around us. Give us Your heart to be able to pray in agreement with Your plans and purposes. Job 5:12 He thwarts the plans of the crafty so that their hands achieve no success.